SEPTIC TANKS & SYSTEMS
L&L Excavating is certified with Bay, Saginaw, and Tuscola Counties to be septic installers. Each county has its own set of specific rules for septic to be followed, however there is a state-wide code by which we always abide. Septic systems are waste water treatment systems that use septic tanks and drainfields or Eljen systems to dispose of sewage. Septic tanks can be made of concrete or fiberglass. If city sewer is not available, generally in rural or large lot settings, a septic field must be put in. Interesting to note, some septic systems can be pump systems that require two separate septic tanks. A permit is required with the county you reside in to install a septic system – the fees vary, however an inspector will come on site to ensure the system is being installed correctly.
We install septic tanks and septic systems in Saginaw, Flint, Midland, Bay City, the Thumb, Imlay City, Lapeer and surrounding areas in The Great Lakes Bay Region. Contact us today! (989) 863-8687
How Does a Septic System Work?
Waste material from the home or business enters the septic tank where:
- Heavier solids settle to the bottom and form a layer of sludge
- Lighter wastes including oil and grease rise to the top and form a layer of scum
- Liquid waste water falls between these two layers
A few Dos and Don’ts if you a have a septic system, or are considering putting one in.
- Connect your kitchen and laundry water to the septic tank
- Have your septic tank pumped out ever 2-3 years by a licensed operator
- Check with the health department if you are having problems
- Learn the location of your septic tank – you’ll want to divert other sources of water (roof drains, sump pumps, etc.) away from your septic system
- Take leftover hazardous household chemicals to your approved hazardous waste collection center for disposal.
- Don’t go down into the septic tank – toxic gases are produced by the natural treatment process which can be lethal
- Don’t allow heavy vehicles to drive over or park on the drainfield
- Don’t plant trees or shrubs on the drainfield
- Don’t cover the drainfield with anything other than grass (i.e. concrete, asphalt, or decks)
- Don’t use commercial septic tank additives
We install septic tanks and septic systems in Saginaw, Flint, Midland, Bay City, the Thumb, Imlay City, Lapeer and surrounding areas in The Great Lakes Bay Region.